As a former Councilwoman and Mayor, Sharon earned a reputation for solving problems and working collaboratively as a part of a team. That’s what teachers do with their students, and that’s how she approaches public service. Sharon knows it doesn’t take a Democrat or a Republican to pave a street, fix a pothole or rebuild an aging bridge. It takes people working together, regardless of party, to find common ground when solving the state’s challenges.
Her history of local service guides her philosophy on how state government should operate. Sharon believes strongly in transparency, innovation and collaboration. An advocate for reaching out to citizens, Sharon created the popular “Walk and Talk” program in Fullerton, in which she led citizens on walks through specific areas of the community and discussed issues of concern. Solutions are found at home in our neighborhoods- not with special interests that have overrun our State Legislature in Sacramento.
Sharon’s priorities are simple:
- Use constituent feedback to prioritize the issues important to our community.
- Focus on finding and adopting solutions, not scoring political points.
- Work across party lines to move our state forward.
- Demand Orange County be treated fairly by state government.
Other Service and Distinctions
City of Fullerton representative to:
- Southern California Assoc. of Governments (SCAG)
- Orange County Council of Governments (OCCG), former Vice Chairwoman
- Orange County Vector Control Board
- Orange County Sanitation District, Exec. Board
- One of 50 Most Outstanding Hispanic Alumni, Cal State Fullerton
- Harry S. Truman Award, Democratic Party of Orange County
- “Woman of the Year,” State Sen. Lou Correa
- “Golden Apple” award, Hispanic Education Endowment Fund
- “Beacon Award,” Orange County Community Association
- Past Chair, Fullerton Collaborative
- Past Chair, Neighbors United for Fullerton
- Assistance League of Fullerton
- Sister City Association
- Fullerton Chamber of Commerce
- Fullerton Historic Theater Foundation
- Friends of the Arboretum
- Boys & Girls Club of Fullerton
- All the Arts for All the Kids Foundation